The use of colors in web design
has been very analyzed. This is because it is estimated that the color of a product influences the purchase decision 80% of consumers. Following this, we must take it into account when doing any web design. Moreover, we have to remain in mind that the very first thing that will catch any consumer eye is the color of our web design or logo.
The use of colors is extremely powerful, as colors are able to set the right tone to bring the message to users. If we analyze the use of color in the logos of the top 100 brands in the world, we find that 95% use one or two colors at most.
What color should you use?
Within the range of colors, blue is the most common color in 33% of cases, followed by red with 29%, 28% used black or grayscale and 13% yellow. The use of these colors is dragged to web design as when doing any web design
we must respect the color of the logo. Although each color is intended to transmit different messages, it is therefore advisable for these colors to define our principles and enterprise values:
- Blue Color: This color conveys peace, peace, peace, integrity, stability. Blue is a cold color, so it should not always be abused. Ideal for medical, political, or technology websites.
- Red Color: It's the color of love, power, leadership and emotion. But it also has negative connotations such as danger alert, prohibitions, etc. Web pages are often used to draw attention, either in banners or in buttons, but it needs to be used sparingly because it is a very intense color.
- Yellow Color: This color is related to feelings of happiness or optimism. It is also associated with fun, glow and caution. When designing a web page, yellow tones can be used to convey happiness or to contrast buttons or banners.
- Green Color: The color of hope is excellent. It conveys feelings of growth, money, peace, good luck or nature. It is a good choice for health, science or environment-related websites.
- Orange Color: This color conveys friendship, trust and constancy. It is often seen extensively on marketing or business websites. It is striking, but not as strong as red, in which it favors use in CTA.
- Black Color: It is an elegant color associated with power, formality and sophistication. Though care must be taken to use it because it can be associated with darkness, death, bad luck, mystery. It is the most commonly used tone for texts, because it has high readability.
- White Color: This color is associated with purity, simplicity, freshness and cleanliness. Ideal for medical-related pages, although as it is combined with more colors, it can be used on any kind of web.
- Pink Color: This color conveys love, protection, generosity and delicacy. Many companies use it for their logo or to highlight important messages within the web.
- Gray Color: It's a neutral color, not too strong, but of great value if you can use it well. This color conveys security, reliability and modesty. Its use for web pages in the technology sector is very common and right.
How to choose a good color mix?
When designing a web, it is important to choose well the colors we will use. It is important that these keys complement each other well and do not collide. There are then various color combinations:
These are the colors that visually support the color we have chosen by creating a very vibrant image. If you see the color palette, the complementary color to our base color is diametrically opposite.
In this case, one wager is used for the use of a single color and saturation variations are used for different tones.
Combination triadic colors
Here the color palette consists of three different colors. It is important to use one dominant color and the others to highlight elements for balance.
Combination analogous colors
In this paragraph the resulting color palette is created by colors similar to the chosen but with greater or lesser color degradation.
Combination complementary colors
Uses a base color next to the two adjacent to its complement. In most complementary colors, only saturated colors are taken into account.
Another point to consider when designing a logo is the use of typography, today there is a tendency to use typography unique in creating a logo. Currently, 41% of the logos of big brands using only typography in design.